Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Still on Italy Time

One thing I remember specifically learning while in Europe is their concept of time.  Things were not done literally "on time" very much.  It simply was not the most important thing to be exactly on time everywhere you went. 

The Italians took their time and were laid-back about things so that they enjoyed each moment more.  This meant meals were longer and fellowship lasted longer during and afterward.  Being surrounded by so much beauty and art, I suppose that's how it truly ought to be.  Life should be lived not rushed through and then reflected upon further down the road with regrets.

I've mastered the whole "not-being-exactly-on-time" aspect.  I tend to be running late a lot.  That's ok when you're given a time to be somewhere in a foreign country and NOT expected to show up until at least a half hour later.  Over here in the States, however, I need to correct this concept.

Yet, I think it's neat in a way to be so laid-back when it comes to the concept of time.  After all, time is what man's life and entire world revolves around!  Our Creator does not work on a time slot going from when the big hand on the clock is on one number til it gets to another.  We should soak in every moment we are blessed to have. 

Until everyone learns to accept this, I guess I'll just work on being "on time" more!  My excuse right now is that I'm still on Italy Time.

No comments: