Monday, March 15, 2010

Florence Finale (Thurs. 3-11-2010)

Well, Thursday was busy and fascinating to say the least.  It was basically our last day to spend in Florence and with our dear friends at the Villa.  We started off going to "classes" with HUF students which consisted of guided tours of the Medicci Chapel or as they refer to it Cappelle Medicee and Bargello.  These are some of the most extraordinary sites that I was fortunate enough to see in the flesh instead of normally sitting at a desk in class viewing these as flat pictures that cannot capture their true beauty.

The Medicci Chapel was full of interesting history that I found intriguing.  As I entered the place where this family worhsipped, my mind literally could not fathom the art that was before me.  To see and try to grasp that some of the most incredible artwork was right in front of me in the form of smooth, shiny colorful designs and were actually slivers of rock blew me away.  Some were the most intricately designed pictures but were cut out of stone.  They were cut and smoothed into a  beautiful creation, like a mosaic, which was amazing to me.  They were so detailed they appeared to be intense paintings but were not.

Sadly, I could not take pictures of this even though it could not be captured in photos.  It was simply breath-taking to see.

Then the Bargello was an impressive museum where I could take pictures outside.  It had even been used as a place of execution but was now full of art and all kinds of sculptures.



After sharing a terrific six-course lunch with friends, I went to find David.  That is, I went to the Academia Galleria to view the beauty of the human body sculpted by Michelangelo himself.  That masterpiece and several others were so remarkable, they all but looked like they should be inhaling.  Such detail went into these creations that made them look real-life.  Yet, the fact that they were all from a piece of marble is absolutely extraordinary.

We celebrated our last night in Florence at the Villa saying farewell to our HUF friends.  We shared many many hugs, freshly-made gelato and entertainment by a Scandicci jazz band.  This was such a fun time and made me realize that I did not want it to end!  To read about the main director and trumpet player, watch for the feature story on the Link.


No comments: