Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fun in Florence

Yesterday, Mar. 9, was definitely the best day of the trip thus far! 

It started off with a delicious breakfast and meeting movie director/filmographer Jay Russell.  He has worked on the movies, My Dog Skip, Tuck Everlasting and The Waterhorse, so he had excellent advice to give from experience.  He told stories in a descriptive way that only a movie director can and gave advice about how to find good stories and capture them in an intriguing way.  He encouraged everyone to get out among the common everyday buzz but see the unique in each situation.

After a beautifully prepared lunch, some friends and I decided to go into Florence again but this time on a mission!  We made a list of five main attratction in Florence and made sure to visit every one of them.  It was such an amazing experience and such a feeling of accomplishment to have gone to the city and acutally to have seen/done everything we planned.  This also was the first time I felt like I knew where I was going and what I was doing in this glorious foreign country.  I am directionally challenged when I am in my own country, so to get this kind of feeling is a BIG deal.

Here is what we did in our incredible day of Florence fun!
1.  Went to the Ponte Vecchio
      This is a famous bridge full of history.  Long ago the nobility refused to mingle right along side the commoners, and therefore, a top section of the bridge was built so that the nobles could walk above the rest.



2.  Explored the Uffizi art gallery
     It was full of spectacular statues and artwork including a wondrous fountain just outside the main gallery.  One of the big attractions is the fake David statue that stands tall and powerful among many others.



3.  Made a stop at the Piggy Market
     This market is known for the legendary bronze statue of a big with a fountain.  Supposedly if you touch the pig's nose, you will return to Italy one day.  Needless to say I definitely rubbed that pig's nose!



4.  Had some gelato
     During our trip we had to make a stop at a highly recommended gelato store, Grom.  This place, a favorite of Harding University students traveling abroad, had a variety of flavors that were absolutely mouth-watering.  Gelato as a reminder is similar to American ice-cream but richer and creamier than back home.  I had to try the special crema de grom and dark chocolate.  My verdict - DIVINE!  They also different fruit flavors and flavor of the month was green tea and white chocolate.


5.  Finally, we couldn't see the main points of any city in Italy without including a church.  So we stopped at a church called the Santa Maria Novella.  Its design and architecture overall was lovely.



I also was able to do some shopping while going through the different markets.  I bought presents for Mama and the sister/ friend or two while also sneaking in an item for myself. I still need to get a few gifts for the other important people in my life as well. I was happy that I even bartered with the merchants and was able to get some items for less than they were priced.

I even did a stand-up or two on these sites for a story on the Link, which made me miss the journalism aspect of this trip.  All that being said, it was a fabulous and enjoyable day in Florence!

No comments: