Friday, March 5, 2010

On Cloud Nine

Not only did I feel like I was on cloud nine travelling to Italy, but I realized I was up in the clouds. I have not been on a plane since I was about nine years old. That is just over 10 years ago; that fact alone is difficult to grasp. I am pretty certain that airports have changed in the past decade so this was going to be an adventure in itself.




Despite these concerns, I focused on the fact that I could not be more grateful for the blessings that I have received. Being able to gain experience in my career field and experience the culture of Italy exceeded any of my wildest birthday wishes (which was today).

After enjoying the flights from Little Rock to Chicago, from Chicago to Frankfurt and from Frankfort to Florence, I realized, “I am about to explore the beauty of Italy.” This has been a dream of mine since I was little, and it was coming true. The best word to describe how I was feeling would have to be elated!

On Mar. 5, 2010, I arrived in Florence and so begins this long and powerful journey of growth. Things were hectic getting from airport to airport and through security and checking luggage, but it was a thrilling experience when I saw my first stamp on my passport!

Walking around Italy, I was a sponge – soaking up literally everything I possibly could about the culture and the people. When I stood outside the Duomo, it was all I could do to hold back tears. This truly is one of the most extraordinary and amazing pieces of architecture ever created. Simply to stand back and look at it was breath-taking. I cannot wait to actually be able to enter it!



That night, we ate authentic Italian pizza and my dear friends made it known that it was my birthday. After being presented with a delicious chocolate dessert, the restaurant sang to me, and I blew out the candles. What a day of travel and happiness already!

No comments: