Monday, March 8, 2010

A Beautiful Day

"Today is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."


This day began beautifully in worship service when we attended church with the congregation in Florence. Everyone was so welcoming, and the Italian service truly was heartfelt. When the singing started, it was moving. I was able to experience a church service in authentic Italian language which is beautiful speaking and even more when singing worship to God. Afterwards, we were served a delicious meal by the members of the church.



From there, I went exploring through sites in Florence. The main attraction on which I decided to focus was the Duomo! The architecture and design of the cathedral is absolutely breath-taking. I went inside to view the paintings, statues and actual place of worship. It’s amazing to think about people literally meeting in this incredible and sacred building to worship years ago. All the stained glass and candle-lighting makes it seem truly holy and special.


I wanted to go to the top of the Duomo, however the climb to the top was closed on Sunday. Therefore, I ascended to the peak of the neighboring bell tower instead. Four hundred and fourteen steps later, I attempted to take in the astonishing view high above the city! The stairway became increasingly narrow as I reached the top, but it was worth it. The bells still melodiously sound from the top which add to the glorious experience.



I made my way down and surveyed the market that just moments ago seemed microscopic from the top. The booths all over Florence are even more intriguing than the Scandicci flea market I visited on Saturday. These merchants shamelessly make comments at the passersby and extremely sketchy individuals come at you in the middle constantly. However, it is an excellent time to obtain great souvenirs and items at great prices. They even barter on sometimes low prices which help.



Later that night, I enjoyed fellowship with students studying overseas at the Villa this semester and engaged in a devo that was honestly a powerfully moving time of reflection. It was then that I remembered how I got to this point – exploring the beauty of Italy with some of the greatest people I could imagine. As I have said before, I could not be more grateful for the blessings that I have received throughout my life and most recently with this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

No comments: